Frequently Asked Questions
- I know where I am going. Why do I need a navigation system?
GPS navigation helps you find the most efficient routes to your destinations, saving you time, fuel and money. Your Land Rover navigation system gives you more than just directions from A to B, it helps you to find the things you need, the nearest car park, hotel, petrol station or restaurant. With the added benefits of traffic information, it will also offer an alternative route when your usual route is congested. And for peace of mind, it can pinpoint your exact location should you need roadside assistance.
- What are the benefits of navigation?
Studies have shown that vehicles with navigation systems use 12% less fuel than those without, saving you €425 annually. By taking more efficient routes, drivers with up-to-date navigation systems reduce their carbon dioxide emissions by an average of 21%*
*HERE Navigation Benefits Study (2009).
- The map / navigation system that I purchased does not contain a road that I know it exists and I am certain I have the most recent map update available. What can I do?
Map Creator is an exclusive, easy way to inform Land Rover’s map supplier HERE about changes on the roads you drive and the POI’s you are interested in. Millions of people everywhere help keep HERE’s maps fresh in by this method. With its user-friendly Web interface, you can pinpoint the exact location where a map change may be needed. Simply visit http://here.com/mapcreator, point, click and report changes.
- Why can´t I find my destination address?
There are many different ways to find your location. You can enter an address, find a specific address in the detailed list of Points of Interest (POIs), or select a destination directly on the map. Once selected, every location can then be stored as a favourite for the future. Refer to your owner’s manual for further technical details.
- Why do I need to buy a new map update?
Updating your navigation map re-energizes your Land Rover navigation system. Updated maps help your navigation system find the most efficient routes, saving time, money and fuel. The world around us is constantly changing, but with regular map updates, you can trust your navigation system to keep you on track. Land Rover’s map provider HERE builds the data on the roads of the world to reflect the real world conditions. Geographic analysts drive millions of miles a year to make sure everything is up to date. With the latest Land Rover map you can obtain the best route, a reliable detour, the closest petrol station, the nearest hospital… whatever you need to travel confidently to your destination. You won’t have to worry about getting lost or stopping for directions. Updating your navigation system does not take much time and can save you hours.
- How do I update the navigation map data with the USB stick?
1. Slot the USB stick containing the navigation map data into the USB interface.
2. Follow the instructions on the touch screen*.
3. Enter the map activation code.
4. During the update of the navigation map data, navigation, entertainment and telephone features are not operational until the update is completed.
5. The USB stick must not be disconnected from the USB interface during the update process.
6. If the ignition is switched off during the map update, the update will continue automatically next time the vehicle is started**.
7. Once updating is complete, a message is displayed on the touch screen. Press ""OK"" to restart the navigation system, and then remove USB stick immediately from USB interface.
8. Allow 3 minutes for navigation to restart.
9. Exit, lock the vehicle and leave for at least 15 minutes before using the navigation system.
* The on screen instructions refer to ""disk"" during the download process of a DVD based system. The USB procedure is identical.
** An on screen instruction may appear on the touch screen giving instructions the ""map update has paused"", please press the ""cancel"" button to continue the update."
- What are the advantages of Land Rover in-dash navigation system?
The Land Rover navigation system is designed to meet safety regulations and automotive specifications. The unit links into the vehicle electronics – such as the speed sensor and gyro sensor – to provide dead reckoning when the GPS signal is lost thus keeping you on track. The screen size and quality is optimized for viewing and is also ergonomically positioned on the dashboard to ensure minimal driver distraction. Combined with all other multimedia functions, in-dash navigation enables a more comfortable driving experience.
- Who provides the map data?
Land Rover uses HERE as their provider as they are the world leader in premium- quality digital map data and content. The HERE map is built on the roads of the world by over 2,000 geographic analysts and produces a map that the world turns to 100 million times each day.
Report road changes
- My navigation system does not always display what I know is the shortest/fastest route?
We all know shortcuts within our local areas that we use to avoid rush hour traffic or poorly timed traffic lights. Navigation systems calculate routes using the detailed information within the map database and take into account various circumstances including actual distance, average speed, road classification, turn restrictions and more. Your system allows you to set personal preferences such as using motorways, toll roads, and calculating the shortest route.. Refer to your owner’s manual for further technical details.
- I want to travel in Europe, what is the map coverage of Land Rover’s navigation system?
Western Europe: Austria, Belgium, Canary Islands , Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UK. Eastern Europe: Albania, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Estonia, Greece, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Macedonia, Moldavia, Montenegro, Poland, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Ukraine.
- How often are new map updates or map products released?
Updated maps are generally available once a year. To be informed when a new map product becomes available for your navigation system, ask your nearest dealer. Check for your nearest dealer at www.landrover.com (Select country Network).
- Who are HERE and where can I access more information on them?
HERE is Land Rover’s digital map provider and is the world leader in premium-quality map data and content. HERE maps drive most of the in-car navigation systems made in both Europe and North America. To find out more, visit the website www.navigation.com/here.
- How long will it take to download the map data?
The complete download process may take up to 2.5 hours dependent on the amount of information in the map region download. An example of current USB download times is shown in the following list:
• Europe - 2 hours 25 minutes
• NAS - 2 hours 03 minutes
• Russia - 29 minutes"
- What happens if I switch the ignition off during the download?
PLEASE REFER TO THE DETAILED MAP UPDATE INSTRUCTION GUIDE INCLUDED IN THE USB PACKAGE RECEIVED.
During the Map upload process IF the ignition is switched off and the vehicle is shutdown, providing the USB stick IS NOT removed the upload will continue when the car is started again.
If the USB memory stick is removed from the USB port during the Map Upload process; the ignition must be switched off, the vehicle locked, then unlocked. The ignition should be switched back on and the USB memory stick re-inserted to enable the Map upload to be completed.
- How do I find my VIN number?
The vehicle Identification number (VIN) is a number that uniquely identifies your vehicle. It is assigned at the factory by the vehicle manufacturer. The VIN is mentioned on the vehicle registration papers under the section marked “E”. It is composed of 17 characters. Note: the VIN is normally found behind the front wind shield of certain vehicle models as well.
Back to top